Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Author Interview & Spotlight - The Convenience of Lies by Kimberly Castillo



Today I have an interview to share with you all with Kimberly Castillo, author of The Convenience of Lies. 

Synopsis:
“It doesn’t matter if it’s right or wrong. All that matters is if you can. If you can do something, what difference does it make?”

Based on a true story, The Convenience of Lies is a novel that keeps readers up past midnight with its story of friendship, mystery, crime, sex, and betrayal. Set in a suburban town, this story is told through the eyes of a high school junior, Mackenzie, who describes her crush on a “bad boy,” Ramon, and her relationship with her best friend, Kira. During the course of the story, Mackenzie does her best to attract the affections of Ramon while her friendship with Kira evolves. Eventually, the different characters’ property starts getting vandalized and a mystery develops as Mackenzie and Kira try to get to the bottom of who is behind the vandalism.


Where did you get the inspiration for “The Convenience of lies”?
The first novel I ever read was Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder, and it inspired me to someday write a book based on my own life. And so, I started keeping a diary with the hopes that someday I would stumble upon a story worth telling. Then, one summer while I was in high school I experienced a lot of drama which I thought could make a good story.

Do you see yourself in any of your characters?
No comment….

Did you always know you wanted to be a writer?
I’ve always liked to write and I’ve always entertained the idea of writing my own book. However, I never considered pursuing writing as a career.

What does your writing area look like?
I have a desk in my living room where I do most of my writing on my laptop. My husband and I keep our desks in the living room so that I can work late while he’s sleeping and not bother him, and so that he can wake up early while I’m sleeping to work at his desk without bothering me.

What are five items you never leave home without?
Besides my cell phone, wallet, and keys, I never leave my house without nail clippers, chap-stick, sunglasses, and usually a sweater.

Do you prefer ebooks or print?
Print. I like reading in the bathtub, and I’m terrified of the idea of dropping a Kindle/Nook into the water and destroying it.

What are you reading right now?
I just finished reading Angels and Demons, and I’m planning on reading Mary Poppins next.

Do you have a favorite TV show?
It’s a close tie between Big Bang Theory and How I Met Your Mother.

What’s one thing that scares you?
I am terrified of the dark. I hate being home alone at night and if the power goes out, I am not a happy camper.

Who’s your favorite muppet?
Grover. I still have my stuffed Grover that I had and loved as a little kid.

Goals for the future projects books?
Currently I’m working on a series that I will publish under a pseudonym. But, regarding projects I want to write under my real name, I’m thinking about turning The Convenience of Lies into a trilogy. I’m also bouncing around the idea of writing some fantasy and creating my own complex world. Another possibility I’ve been considering is writing a childhood drama much like Angela’s Ashes. Finally, I’m thinking about writing a book where my protagonist is struggling with overcoming a mental disorder, like Sybil. I really like to write about taboo subjects and attempt to make them relatable.

Anything you want to say to your readers?
Thank you for supporting my writing and taking part in this journey with me!
 

Important Links:

2 comments:

  1. Hello Michelle! Great interview! It's nice getting to know a little more about Kimberly Castillo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great .interview. Inspiring to learn about other authors. I was so impressed when I read Angela ' s Ashes that I also wanted to write a childhood drama. They are such powerful stories...

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...