Friday, May 3, 2013

The Ghoul Experience Tour - Interview with Ralph McGeary


Today I am very excited to be part of the tour for Ralph McGeary's new novel 'Ghoul'.

Ghoul
 
Synopsis:
'In this fantasy novel of policemen, mercenaries, and necromancers, a Chief Constable becomes embroiled in the political and religious upheaval in his city when he seeks aid from a wandering spellcaster. Across the continent, a band of sword-slinging mercenaries cut a bloody swathe though the countryside, seeking their fortune at their own peril...'
 
 
Author Interview:
 
What was your inspiration behind writing Ghoul?

Ghoul is my first full-length novel, something I’d been planning and hoping to write for a long while before I finally accomplished it. At first I didn’t know what kind of novel I wanted to write, but it was the fantasy ideas of Ghoul that ended up running through my head the most often.

Would you like to share one piece of advice you would give to other aspiring authors?

Different tactics work different for different people, but one piece of advice I’d offer is this: don’t get too hung up on planning and outlining. Once you have a general idea of what you want to happen, just start writing and the rest will come.

If you weren't a writer, what else do you think you would you be doing instead?

Hard to say! I do not have any talent in music or visual art. I suppose I might have gone into acting? I’ve always kind of liked that, but I’ve never seriously attempted it.

Do you have one particular special ‘writing place’ or are you fortunate enough to be able to write anywhere?

I write almost exclusively at home, though where I sit to do it doesn’t matter much. I think that I probably could write away from home, but I’ve never given it much of a try—I really prefer to write in a scheduled, regimented way, so writing away from home could mess that up.

Are there any authors that have inspired you along the way?

There’s no doubt that I gain inspiration from just about everything I read. Particularly inspiring for Ghoul would be Terry Pratchett, an excellent British author who does fantasy humor. I also draw a fair deal of inspiration from Matthew Stover, my favorite author, who writes both fantasy and science fiction. Classic horror authors like Robert Chambers and H.P. Lovecraft have also provided a lot of inspiration for me.

Do you have a favourite scene in Ghoul (without giving the story away too much)?

There is a scene I enjoy in the latter half of the book in which a bestial sort of wolf-man (called, aptly “the Wolf”) has a prolonged duel with a spellcaster (I won’t say who). I was looking forward to writing that for a long time; I’m pretty happy with how it came out.

Do you have any pets?

I do not—I do like animals, though. When I was younger I used to have pet rats, hamsters, and turtles. My favorite animal is the crocodile, but I don’t foresee being able to keep one of those…

What’s your favourite way to spend your spare time?

Nothing too exciting. I enjoy cooking, and I like games a lot, from video games to board games to role-playing games. And reading and writing, of course.

What’s one thing that most people wouldn’t know about you?

Some people may be interested to learn that most of what I wrote in college was humor essays. Maybe someday I can make them available, but I’m glad that I write fiction now instead; humor essays are tough!

Do you have any new works in the pipeline which you care to share any details about?

The sequel to Ghoul is currently in editing, and will be released within a few months! Those who want to know more about that can always visit me at ralphmcgeary.tumblr.com


Ralph McGeary lives in Chicago, Illinois. He holds degrees in History and Anthropology from Loyola University Chicago. Ghoul is his first novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...