Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Spotlight & Interview - A Fistful of Evil by Rebecca Chastain




Today I am very happy to be hosting a great interview with Rebecca Chastain.



First up, here is a little bit about her latest book, A Fistful of Evil....

Synopsis:
Madison Fox just learned that her ability to see souls is more than a sight: It’s a weapon for fighting evil. The only problem is she doesn’t have a clue what she’s doing.

On the positive side, her money problems are over, she’s possibly discovered her purpose in life, and her coworker is smoking hot. On the negative side, evil creatures now actively hunt her, and deadly experiences are becoming the norm.

When she thinks it couldn’t get worse, a powerful evil sets up shop at a local hotel’s video game convention, and it’s got its eye on more than the gaming geeks: it is hungry for Madison’s soul. Madison needs to become an expert illuminant enforcer overnight to save her job, her region . . . and her life.

If Stephanie Plum fought evil with magic, it’d look a lot like this.

A Fistful of Evil is an Amazon Top 100 Fantasy Bestseller in the United States, Australia, and Canada.

Interview:
 


Where did you get the inspiration for A Fistful of Evil?
I’m a fantasy addict and wish I had my own magic, so it makes sense that my ideas always spark from the main character’s magic. The idea for Madison’s magic came when I was trying to fall asleep. To distract myself from a bad work day, I focused on my cat, who was sleeping beside my pillow. In the darkness, I pretended I could see her glowing white, which made me think about being able to see souls, and whether or not that would be a good thing. From there, the story took off…and it took me a long time to fall to sleep.

Do you see yourself in any of your characters?
I am Madison’s polar opposite and am much more like her best friend Bridget. I like to plan. I savor routine. I adore a quiet day in front of my computer. I wish I were more spontaneous and outgoing like Madison. Of course, if it meant attracting as much trouble as she does, no thanks!

Did you always know you wanted to be a writer?
I was eleven the first time I wrote a story, and it was an epiphany. Short of stumbling through a wardrobe (I always check!) or getting an owl-delivered message, writing is the closest I can get to wielding magic, and I’m not going to give it up!

What does your writing area look like?
A little bit messy and well lived in. More specifically, my sprawling desk takes up half the room, and an elliptical machine and two bookcases take up the rest of the space. The desk is covered with manuscripts in various stages, research books, and far too many sticky notes with scribbles only I can interpret. An enormous white board with my extensive to-do list hangs across from my desk to keep me on track. And, of course, cat beds are tucked into favored spaces to appease my “coworkers,” who otherwise prefer sprawling across my desk, knocking everything to the floor.

What are five items you never leave home without?
Lip gloss, a list of books I need to buy, a hair tie, my purse, and a pullover sweater (what is with the arctic temperatures of some restaurants?). I’m always forgetting to bring my phone.

Do you prefer ebooks or print?
I love ebooks! They let me squeeze extra reading time into every day, including while flossing and applying moisturizer and sunscreen. Also, I can load my ereader with a library of books for long trips rather than packing a heavy tote (this might be the reason my husband got me an ereader in the first place).

What are you reading right now?
For pleasure, Kat Richardson’s Greywalker; for research, Charles C. Mann’s 1941; and for marketing tips, Joanna Penn’s How to Market a Book.

Do you have a favorite TV show?
S.H.I.E.L.D. is my current favorite, and next in line are Doctor Who, The Good Wife, Scandal, and Modern Family. I sorely miss Eureka and Warehouse 13. I wish more sci-fi/fantasy shows were geared toward adults and not teens!

What’s one thing that scares you?
Shower curtains, or rather, closed shower curtains. Bathtubs are large. You could fit a lot of stuff back there, including people. I always check behind shower curtains before using the restroom in someone’s house. (You’ve been warned: If you ever have me over, I’m going to look.) I’ve scared myself a few times, too, because a lot of people use spare bathroom showers as extra storage.

Goals for future projects?
A Fistful of Evil is the first of string of novels, the number depending on reader response; I want to make fans happy! I also plan to write two or three more novellas in the world of Magic of the Gargoyles. Beyond that, I have a fantasy series set in the time of the Aztec half mapped out, a magical realism screwball romance set in LA that is currently in edits, and possibly a YA stand-alone involving time manipulation.

Anything you want to say to your readers?
Thank you for reading my novel! I love to hear from readers, so email me at rebecca[at]rebeccachastain[dot]com, leave a comment on my blog, or chat with me on Facebook.
 

Important Links:


Amazon US:






Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5660379.Rebecca_Chastain

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...