Monday, October 7, 2019

Review - The Postmistress by Alison Stuart

The PostmistressThe Postmistress by Alison Stuart
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Paperback395 pages
Published June 17th 2019 by HarperCollins
Source: Publisher for Review

Synopsis:
'A stunning historical tale of loss, desire and courage that is full of the terror and the beauty of the Australian bush, for readers of The Thorn BirdsThe Naturalist's Daughter and The Widow of Ballarat.
To forge a new life she must first deal with her past...
1871. Adelaide Greaves and her young son have found sanctuary in the Australian town of Maiden's Creek, where she works as a postmistress. The rough Victorian goldmining settlement is a hard place for a woman - especially as the other women in town don't know what to make of her - but through force of will and sheer necessity, Adelaide carves out a role.
But her past is coming to find her, and the embittered and scarred Confederate soldier Caleb Hunt, in town in search of gold and not without a dark past of his own, might be the only one who can help. Can Adelaide trust him? Can she trust anyone?
When death and danger threaten - some from her past, some borne of the Australian bush - she must swallow her pride and turn to Caleb to join her in the fight, a fight she is determined to win...'
My Thoughts:
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and although it is not a genre I typically pick up often I am glad I decided to give it a go.

This isn't your typical, air-headed, sickly romance which is what I enjoyed about it the most. There was a lot more to the story and what I appreciated the most was all of the historical references and the picture that was painted in my head of the old mining town of Maiden's Creek. The author has definitely done her research and it really shows in how she describes everything in such great detail to really make you feel like you are there.

The main character Adelaide was a very believable, strong-minded woman. I liked the fact she was portrayed in this manner rather than your typical air-headed, weak female that is commonly written about in books of this era. She was determined and could think for herself and didn't need anyone else to rely on to make a life for her and her son.

I thought Caleb was a very likeable character as well as he was realistic and had faults which gave him depth and made you want to see everything work out for him in the end.

I appreciated the fact that the romance angle was more of a slow burn rather than a 'fall head over heels in an instant' kind of thing and it made me really want to keep reading to see how it was all going to develop. The romance between Adelaide and Caleb was definitely a big part of the storyline but there was still enough going on in other areas to make the book interesting and keep me invested in reading.

This is the first book I have read by author Alison Stuart and has made me think to try out some of her other books in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...