Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Book Review - 'Dixie City Jam' by James Lee Burke

Dixie City Jam (Dave Robicheaux, #7)Dixie City Jam by James Lee Burke
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

'When a Nazi submarine is discovered lying in sixty feet of water off the Louisiana coast, some troubled ghosts are ready to be released. A local businessman is offering Detective Dave Robicheaux big money to bring the wreck to the surface, but he his not the only one after the submarine and its cargo. A new spirit of hatred is abroad, and its embodiment is stalking Robicheaux's wife...'


I've always been a huge fan of James Lee Burke. I just love the feeling I get of being swept away down south into the world of Louisiana and New Orleans and the vivid picture he paints of the places and people in his books. Burke's writing is always so descriptive, down to the leaves on a tree and this always adds such a great extra element to his stories and enhances your whole reading experience.

I always get mixed feelings when reading one of Burke's books, and this one was no exception. I gravitate from being disgusted at certain events, to being fascinated by others and that is another reason why I love this author.

The way he makes you feel as if you can visualise and even smell the evilness of the main character, Will Buchalter really gets you interested in the story and makes you want nothing more than to see this guy get put in his place.

Dave Robicheaux is again playing the typical cop trying to do things the correct way but who doesn't mind going against the grain whenever it will work out in the good guys favour, or if it means protecting his family.

I've always been a huge fan of Clete Purcell too. I think this character is hilarious and I just love his complete disregard for any laws. Sometimes he can go overboard but that's half the fun of waiting to see what he will do next.

I definitely recommend this book to any Burke fan. Once I was halfway through I just couldn't put it down!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...