Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Book Review - 'Good Intentions' by Joy Fielding


'It was simple enough once you broke it down. Her husband had left her for another woman. A married woman. That woman's husband had called her on the phone and asked if he might come over, there were some things he thought she should know....'

Well, what can I say other than I feel like I have lost quite a few hours in my life that would have been much more productive if they weren't spent reading this book.
To me it was just Boring (yep, that's right, with a capital 'B') and it wasn't until the final 20 or so pages that anything seemed to finally happened. Even then what did happen was extremely predictable and totally uninspiring.
This story is about the lives of two women. One a social worker who's husband has just left her for another woman, the other a sucessful divorce lawyer who's marriage isn't all that it appears to be. It had the potential to be a really captivating read but I just didn't feel like the characters were developed enough and sometimes their actions (or lack of) frustrated me so much that I wanted to literally throw the book across the room.
It's a shame because I am normally a fan of Joy Fielding and have read a few of her other books so was extremely disappointed in the result of this one. I felt like a was reading the diary entries of two boring and lonely women who really just needed a kick up the 'you know what' to get with the program and change their awful lives and it unfortunately took the entire book for this to happen.
Oh well, you can't always read something that will blow your mind I guess.

Rating: 1 out of 5 stars.

Next up I will be tackling 'Baby Did a Bad Bad Thing' by Gabrielle Lord. I thought I'd stay with female writers for a little bit and see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...