Thursday, June 7, 2012

Armchair BEA 2012 - Beyond Your Blog

Today we are asked the following question:
Has blogging opened up opportunities for you beyond getting free, advance copies of new books? Has it helped you get offers to write or review elsewhere (maybe even for pay)? Have you gotten invites to special events or places you might not have been to otherwise?
Well, my response to this question is a short and sweet one: I wish!!!
I'd love to get offers to write elsewhere or get special invites to events such as author signings or other bookish things.
Unfortunately, there just isn't the demand for that sort of thing where I live as far as I can tell. My local library is fairly basic and I've seen about one author visit in the whole 4 years I've lived near it. I must admit I don't frequent it a often as I probably should due to the fact that I am a bit obsessive compulsive where I feel the need to buy any book I want rather than borrow it, but I constantly peruse the noticeboard just in case there is something of interest, but alas, there never is.
Another issue is that there aren't many independent bookstores near where I live. There is a small Dymocks and a QBD and that's about it! There used to be a Borders but we all know what happened to them......
Also, my location is not really in the midst of anywhere significant. I live on the Central Coast of NSW and am around 1 and a 1/2 hours drive from Sydney where the majority of events most likely happen all the time. Unfortunately, with working part time and having a young toddler, getting the time to try and organise a visit to anything in Sydney just isn't a possibility most of the time, especially since hubby commutes to work there and doesn't get home until quite late.
In saying these things though, I am happy with what I do for the moment and with the fact that I am privileged enough to get free books to review and personal contact with authors. One day I'd love to meet up with other bloggers if it ever becomes a possibility and I'd also love to go to an author event or signing if one ever comes my way.
Has blogging opened up any interesting doors for you? I'd love to know how.

9 comments:

  1. Like you I share life with animals. I love that you have a duck. It brought back memories of the two ducks that little Easter bunny left for me when I was young. Wiggles and Waggles, I think they were. Hope to read your review on the Game of Thrones, too. I'll be reading the books later this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, those are cute duck names :-) Our duck is named Peking.
      I don't think I'll be reviewing The Game of Thrones for a while yet. It's a monster of a book to get through!

      Delete
  2. It's funny, today's post seems to really relate to yesterday's. I guess networking, monetizing and freelancing all goes hand in hand. I'm not really making anything from my blog either, but that's not why I started blogging in the first place!

    Great post! Here's my Armchair BEA Beyond the Blog Post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I didn't start blogging to make anything out of it either. I just loved being able to voice my opinion on a topic I love and share my views with others.

      Delete
  3. I definitely agree, networking is the key! but I love to blog because of my love to read

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, same as me :-) I wouldn't even know where to start with networking though. I've never been good with that sort of thing.

      Delete
  4. Not really, I love blogging and it's more about the passion I have for books than anything else.

    My Armchair BEA: Beyond my Blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm right there with you! No bookstores and generally not near a location that specializes in the publishing industry.

    Getting free reader's copies is a major perk to reviewing though!

    Here are my posts for Armchair BEA:
    Day 1 | Introduction
    Day 2 | Best of 2012
    Day 2 | Giveaway | Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo
    Day 3 | Networking
    Day 4 | Beyond the Blog
    BEA 2012 | Take Home Results
    Day 5 | Blogging Advice | Give or Take

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's frustrating being in an area where absolutely NOTHING interesting happends. Oh well, it just makes you appreciate the little things more I guess :-)

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...